Woodworking for Women
An Introduction to Working with Hand Tools and Power Tools
This 5 day introductory course is intended to build confidence, de-mystify woodworking through use of hand tools and power tools, and excite students for further engagement with wood. The class project will be a serving tray. Different design and construction elements will be examined with the final design being determined by the student.
The class is also planning a guided trip to our fabulous and friendly local wood supplier, Edensaw.
This class is intended to give you a broad overview of different approaches to woodworking through exposure to a combination of hand tools and power tools. Topics include:
1. Understanding the nature of wood as a material
- How to read grain
- How wood moves
- How to select for stability and function
2. Introduction to hand tools
- How to use a hand saw
- Lay out for precision joinery
- Finish a joint with a chisel
- Use a hand plane to create smooth finished surfaces
- Joint a board (make a straight edge)
3. Techniques for joining wood together with joinery and power tools
4. Overview of power tools and stationary machines
- Chop saw
- Drill press
- Cordless drills/bits
And if time:
- Drum sander
5. Introduction to the lumber yard: a trip to Edensaw Hardwoods
More questions? Ask Martha
You do not need to bring any tools for this class
Enthusiasm and a passion to learn woodworking. And smiles!
Class Information and Registration
Class size: 10
Materials Charge: $ 50
When you click on the Register link you will be able to register for the class or, if the class is full, sign up for the wait list.