Our registration and cancellation policies
If you need to cancel your registration for any reason, please contact us (360-344-4455) as soon as possible. It is very important for our planning and ensures that any students on the waitlist have an opportunity to attend if a space opens.
All classes are subject to a nonrefundable $75 registration fee.
2 - 10 day and 4 week courses:
- We require payment in advance.
- For our shorter (2-3 day) courses we ask for the full course fee when you register.
- For our longer (5-10 day) courses we ask for a $200.00 deposit at the time of registration. If you are paying with a check or cash, you must send in your deposit at the time of registration. The balance of the course fee is due 30 days before the course starts. We will send you a reminder to pay the balance due 45 days before the course starts.
- If you have to cancel a course registration more than 30 days before the course starts we will refund any payments less a $75 registration fee.
- If you cancel a course registration less than or equal to 30 days before a course starts your deposit is non-refundable.
- If you cancel your registration for a course less than or equal to 10 days prior to the beginning of class, we will keep 50% of the course fee.
- If you cancel on or after the first day of class, you forfeit 100% of the course fee.
12 Week Intensive Courses Fall 2018:
COURSE COSTS and Payment Schedule
Tuition - $7,200
Registration fee - $75
Materials Deposit - $300
TOTAL - $7,575
$75 - A registration fee is due at the time of registration online. This fee is non-refundable
$750 - Once the Registrant has been accepted to the program a 10% deposit is required to hold their place in the class. If the Registrant cancels before 60 days prior to the first day of class, they can request a refund of the $750 deposit. After that point this deposit is non-refundable.
$1,500 - 60 days prior to the beginning of class the student is required to pay 20% of all tuition and materials. If this amount is not paid within 10 days the student may lose their place. The student has until 30 days prior to the start of class to request a refund of the full $1,500 understanding that the deposit of $750 is non-refundable.
$5,250 - 30 days prior to the beginning of class payment of the remaining fees for tuition and materials is due. Again if the payment is not received within 10 days the student may lose their place in class. The student is given until 10 days prior to the start of class to request a refund of this payment, understanding that the deposit, and 20% payment are no longer refundable.
The student may request a refund from 9 days prior to the start of class until 12 days after the beginning of class during which time the school will refund 50% of the total course fee equal to $3,750. After this time all payments are non-refundable unless extreme circumstances require special consideration.
For example (using calendar dates)
(The example is a Word Document and will be downloaded to your computer)
The materials deposit of $300 (included in the total cost) may be used to purchase wood, books, finish, fasteners and hardware. Any portion of the deposit not used will be returned to the student during the last week of class.
Because of high credit card processing fees we'd prefer that the final largest payment be made to the school in the form of a check or money order.
Registration and cancellation policies for intensive courses effective as of April 2018
Cancelling a Course
- Canceling classes is no fun for us and definitely no fun for you.
- If we have to cancel a course we will fully refund your course fee.
- We will confirm your class as soon as it reaches the minimum enrollment (6-8 students).
- If we do not see the minimum enrollment six weeks from the class start date we will warn you at that time.
- One month (30 days) before class start we will make a go/no-go decision and let you know.
How can I tell if a class is full?
- Try to register for the class by clicking the Register link on a course description page. If the class is full the system will offer to wait list you - you can sign up for the wait list. If there are spaces in the course then you can register.
Explanation of Course Fees
- We charge a materials fee for most classes - this covers the cost of the wood and the time it takes to prepare the kits. In some classes it will also cover the cost of dusts masks, abrasives, finishes etc.
- In some project classes we will take a materials deposit since we can't accurately predict the price of lumber at the time when we prepare the stock. We will notify you of the final materials cost approximately one month before the class.
- In some classes we take you to the local lumberyard to select and purchase your lumber - we've negotiated a student discount.
"Consistent with its values and beliefs and in accord with the relevant federal and state statutes, the Port Townsend School of Woodworking and Preservation Trades does not discriminate in the admission of students, appointment of staff, or recruitment of members of the Board of Directors or other volunteers on the basis of race, religion, color, national or ethnic origin, gender, or sexual orientation."