Ornamental Boxes with Laminated artwork
In this 5 day class students will build small lidded box approximately 5” x 7” x 2”. Students will have the opportunity to create a beautiful and unique showpiece using various species of wood to play with color and patterns.
The laminated artwork will be inlaid into the sides and top and then the box will be sliced open on the bands saw. The box will be built as one unit with sides , top and bottom glued together. Then the laminated artwork will be inlaid into a routed groove. After surfacing with sanders, the box will be sliced open on the band saw. Interior pieces will be placed in the top to reference it on the bottom of the box.
Techniques covered in class include:
- Box construction techniques; butt joints, rabbet joints, miter, and dovetails.
- Explore lamination techniques using multi-species blocks and creating different patterns through slicing, shifting and re-laminating the material.
- Fitting and inlaying the artwork in a routed groove.
- Surfacing the box with sanders.
- Opening the box on the band saw and applying secondary interior sides to lid the top of the box.
- Machines used: Chop saw, Band saw, router table, sanders.
No tools are required for this course
This class is open to all levels.
Class Information and Registration
Class size: 10
Materials Charge: $40
When you click on the Register link you will be able to register for the class or, if the class is full, sign up for the wait list.